Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Video featuring high school drummers and hand knits.

Here is the video of Jeremy and I playing our song "Sun Sets on Washington Avenue" with 5 high school drummers at City Theater in Biddeford. I would like to publicly thank Tammy Ackerman for this video, Josh Bodwell for inviting us to play for this amazing event, the lovely folks at the Maine Arts Commission, the staff at the City Theater, the student competitors, and of course, the students from Coastal Tech Percussion and their parents for bringing this very cool day together.

It's hard to see but Jeremy and I are both wearing hand knit items: I am wearing red leg warmers and Jeremy is wearing the black sweater I made for him a little over two years ago. He asked for it to fit him exactly and not be too long, but now it is kind of too short, so...he still wears it, but I'm going to make him another one in brown that is a bit longer. Both items we are wearing were made from the yarn I got through sample knitting for the Fibre Company, back when it was based here in Portland. Jeremy's sweater is made with Organik. My leg warmers were made with Terra. It's funny, I don't buy yarn all that often, because the stash I earn through sample knitting keeps me quite busy, so most of my hand knits are made with locally (or formerly so) made yarn. Jeremy's new sweater is going to be made from Tess' Designer Yarns' Superwash Merino, which can be machine washed and dried. It'll be another simple raglan sleeve number, plain, no stripes or designs or detailed cuffs, my guy is a ninja and likes to blend in with his surroundings.

For example: we played a show with our friends Ian, Caitlyn, and Matt in our band White Light at Mayo Street Arts Center a couple of months ago. It's a well-lit room, and there were five of us on stage, but everyone could be seen clearly. After our set, Jeremy and I were sitting next to each other in the audience, and a girl turned to face us. She told me how much she enjoyed our set, and asked me what kind of guitar that guy sitting next to me on stage had played. Jeremy, sitting right next to me, told her it was a baritone guitar, but she didn't realize that it had been him playing it. He frequently gives off this invisibility vibe when on stage. It wasn't always like that, though--on the day I met him he knocked someone over with his bass while thrashing wildly...anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment