Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ribbing and cello practice

So after several frustrating attempts to get the ribbing right for Swatch #1, I finally remembered something I started doing when knitting up Lily Chin's 5-Way Cable Wrap (below is Tess modeling the finished product), which was to tug on the first stitch after switching from knit to purl, and just tightening up that little gap. I do this instead of tugging on the working yarn, though I do make sure the yarn is nice and tight when pulling it forward.
 
Here is a handsome photo of Swatch #1 (the one on the right). I probably re-knitted it about 15 times:

 See the pretty ribbing?

Yesterday, as on many days, I practiced my cello and the music for my sister's wedding, which is at the beginning of April. I am not a great manager of my own time, especially when in comes to rehearsing by myself. I have high standards, but have trouble holding myself to them, and get tired and frustrated easily if I don't see results quickly enough. I am patient with people, but not with my work. Wanting to be at a certain point of progress when I'm just not there yet diminishes the care and energy I put into my tasks. I've read through Burton Kaplan's book, Practicing For Success: A Musician's Guide to Self-Empowerment, which has been extremely helpful. I get really inspired when reading it, but then I want to try all the techniques at once, because I want to fix everything at the same time. Also, I don't even know when something sounds better, because it all could be better, all the time. I want to be an expert, like, five minutes ago. So impatient!

During my cello practice yesterday, I thought of how frustrated I had become with my swatches. I finally had some success in my ribbing, because instead of casting on over and over again, hoping for better results each time, I spent the whole day reading what others had done to overcome tension problems and trying new things until it came out nicely. My brain made a little connection, and I was able to muster up a little calm and focused observance in my practice. At 34, I am still learning that natural ability is only the spark. Building focus and patience and proper time management are the things that will get me to where I want to be, not repeating things the same way every time and hoping for it to miraculously sound better. (Remember the definition of insanity...)

Anyway...this was my Valentine's Day:

Whipping up swatches of this gorgeous blue (Tess' Designer Yarns Superwash Merino) for Bonnie Paul's Curvy Squares Tee, which I found in my copy of the latest Interweave Knits. So excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment