Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tuesday morning

This weekend was a busy and fun-filled weekend for sure. Friday night we went down to Newburyport for our room mate's paper cutting exhibit at the Carry Out Cafe. Jeremy and I were the entertainment, so we played our little hearts out for the crowd happily mingling and eating the superbly delicious food that Carry Out had made for the event. Here are some pictures of the show:
 Dylan has a new website for his work: Dylan Metrano Papercutting
 Much of his work is done out on Monhegan Island, where he spends his summers.
 Our set-up--Paula, the owner, gave us the chalkboard to advertise ourselves. Didn't we do a good job?
 The man of the hour, the artist himself, on the far right, avoiding the camera.
Delicious and artfully presented dainties provided by the Carry Out Cafe.

On Saturday, after 4 hours of sitting on the couch at work, knitting furiously to finish a sweater for Vogue Knitting Live, Jeremy and I headed over to SPACE Gallery to load in and await our sound check. We had some time to kill, and this is never a problem. I just sat there and worked on February Lady. Peter, our sound guy for the evening, was playing some lovely music on his iPod--I See the Sign, by Sam Amidon. I get overwhelmed pretty easily when searching for new music and just let it come to me in the form of friends and acquaintances saying, "Here, listen to this." 

Anyway, the show went well. We are still working with our new set-up to find the best way to do everything, so that we get a big sound on stage for ourselves and the audience gets a big sound in the house, and everyone avoids feedback. Megan Jo Wilson played, and Sara Cox--two ladies we've never shared a stage with before (except Sara, but that was with Brown Bird), and everything was great. Sara's new songs from her upcoming album are so good!! We had only seen Megan sing in other bands, so it was cool to see her perform her own songs. And...just before we went up on stage for our set...I cast off the bottom of February Lady!

This is not really a good photo of me OR the sweater, but don't I look cool in front of the wall? It's part of the show that just went up at SPACE Gallery, check it out because it is gorgeously math-y.

Well now, I must really talk about February Lady. On Sunday, I went out and bought some US 7 dpns for the sleeves. I chose dpns over 12" circular needles because I wouldn't choose the latter for things like gloves, and decided the dpns would be more versatile. I was thinking of my needle collection as a whole. Furthermore, I chose bamboo dpns, because the metal ones slip off easily and make a lot of noise. The drawback is, when using dpns, and WOODEN dpns at that, the knitting goes very slowly. So, I thought I might be done with the sweater by now, but it was not meant to be. I still think I'll get it done before Vogue Knitting Live, but I can not claim to be a fast sweater knitter. Yet.

Another reason why February Lady is not done? Well, I do have other projects. I'm working on a pair of seed-stitch fingerless gloves and a hat for a friend, and I am also trying to fit in some swatches for my Master Hand Knitter Course. So there. Tonight is craft night at my house!!!! Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment