Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

And...trying to catch up.

Well, I clearly need to keep on top of taking pictures. I was working so crazy hard at Vogue Knitting Live that I took not a one. It was a great time, though. I stood but a few feet away from Ysolda Teague, who designed Urchin (the super cute hat I made both for myself and for my sister for Christmas). The Yarn Harlot, my favorite knitting blogger and Canadian, walked right by me! I was trying to help people buy yarn and had to fight the urge to push them aside to introduce and make an idiot of myself. Also, on Sunday, my co-worker and I met Teva Durham, who has a new book coming out in May. So exciting. Can't wait for Stitches West!

Perhaps by now it's clear that I work for a yarn company. It is a small mother-daughter operation based here in Portland, called Tess' Designer Yarns. All the yarns are hand-dyed by one person, and if you've ever stepped into the retail store on Spring Street, you know just how amazing that is. There is so much yarn packed into that little space that it's almost hard to move around. No formulas are used, so each batch of yarn is totally unique. The retail shop is open on a semi-regular basis due to the number of trade shows they participate in.

I started with Tess' Yarns just as a sample knitter, and got my first assignment just as we were about to ship out for a stint of house- and cat-sitting in Raleigh, NC, this past August. When we came back just after Labor Day, I was asked to sit in at the shop on Saturdays, which worked out perfectly. Saturdays turned into Saturdays and Sundays, then Fridays were added, then Wednesday, and now, nearly 6 months later, I'm traveling with them to trade shows, doing a ton of sample knitting, learning about the fiber industry, and getting to meet some of my favorite designers. In short, I am working at my dream job.

Also, I'm getting way better and faster at knitting.

I have some finished objects to show off, but as usual, I have a fire under my butt to complete something today, so I'll have to post the photos tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment