Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Shifting Priorities, taking stock, more cake.

It's official, folks: we are getting kicked out of our apartment on Revere St. Our house sold at the end of February, and our new landlords decided to take over our unit at the end of April.

This news came to us as we were headed out the door for the ArtPM Gallery show in Kittery. The ArtPM Challenge is the visual artist's answer to the RPM Challenge. The show took place at Buoy, a sweet gallery/performance space right in the tiny Kittery downtown. Some of my favorites:
Sparse rooftop scene...
Glass flowers...
Moebius sighting!
In my exuberant socializing and trying to get shots without people in them (it was a crowded show), I neglected to get the names of the artists. If you have any info, tell me please. Two of my room mates had pieces in the show as well, which were lovely and always had lots of people in front of them.

Saturday after work, Jeremy and I went to the third birthday party we've been to this month and again, ate too much food and played a lot of music. By Sunday, the eviction and other potential life changes had driven home the fact that I have an enormous stash of shredded paper and plastic bags, which have been waiting to be recycled into paper and knitted/crocheted shopping/beach bags. I refuse to move a stash of shredded paper and plastic bags, yet again, so I wanted to challenge myself to use up all of these raw materials before we move out.
Then I made pulp, started making paper, and...it wasn't fun. It actually felt wrong. Perhaps I have too much on my plate, my mind is occupied elsewhere, or perhaps it's just not the right season? (When I thought about it, I realized that for some reason I only make paper in the summer. Weird!)

So, instead of recycling all this paper and plastic myself, I am going to send it to professional recyclers. I can certainly make a better effort of remembering to bring my cloth bags to the grocery store.

This leaves my stash of fabric scraps, mostly left over from making t-shirt yarn. I'm trying to foist it off on one of my sisters, or my mom, quilter extraordinaire, but if that fails and anyone reading this post wants it, please leave a comment or send me an email, jerusharobinson [at] gmail [dot] com.

I do have a backlog of knitting projects for friends and family, and for myself. Moving, possibly out of state, getting ready for my sister's wedding, and knitting are more than enough for now.

Later on Sunday was our room mate Mandy's birthday, and therefore, Jeremy and I went to our fourth birthday party this month, and ate too much food.
(Relying on my phone to take photos has its drawbacks for sure. I think it's time for a smartphone.) Doesn't this cake remind you of some kind of scrumptious fabric? That's because the bakers of this cake are very crafty, and one of them sews for a living.

My friend Mel's hat and mitts are coming along nicely:

In the queue: Black chenille! For the wedding!
I don't have to wear black, but most musicians do for performances, and all my dressy things are that color. And so. See the "Heartbeat Sweater" pattern in the photo? I'm making one without sleeves. I wonder if the pretty mitered design gets swallowed up by the chenille, but some swatching will clear that up...

No comments:

Post a Comment